Sunday, August 29, 2010

Surfboard Montages!

This summer I spent a lot of my time working on my surfboard montage project. My goal was to put "beachy" photomontages on broken or beat up surfboards and seal them with either plexiglass and/or resin. After a few weeks of testing and experimenting with lots of glues, resins, and various other plastics I found something that worked. I settled on using two types of resin and fiberglass. The montages are made of 40 to 70 4x6's I pieced together.

I am super stoked on these boards, and now I am trying to get the top 3 displayed at shops or galleries. If you have any suggestions please let me know.  If you are interested in a custom montage of your favorite surf spot or beach please email me at: vontetzel@gmail.com

Click on the pic to enlarge.
Cardiff
Del Mar
Playa Del Rey
Encinitas (just north of moonlight)

*** Special thanks to Mikey H for donating his old longboard and to Patagonia Cardiff by the Sea who donated 2 boards from their recycle board box. The last board was a retired board of mine.

5 comments:

  1. after many hours equipped with his respirator and sander...they are complete! really, really great work. hope you keep making these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally AWESOME, Todd!! Not only is it a unique and original idea, but also you've done a super special job with the montages. I can only imagine the hours you spent putting it all together. I love how the board colors accentuate or compliment the photos. Hope you can find a coffee shop or gallery that will display one or more of these. Of course there's always my living room "gallery" (with DM train tressel), but there wouldn't be a lot of foot traffic thru here. Fabulous job - dibs on the DM board!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful- I look forward to seeing them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE LOVE LOVE these!! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They (the surf boards) almost make me want to take up surfing! Awesome job, Todd! Really awesome! Perhaps having some sort of montage of the actual owner of the surf board might be interesting?! Let the creative juices flow...

    ReplyDelete